Sunday, February 17, 2008

How you are doing and feeling about what you have learned this week? Did the group experience help or hinder your learning experience?

Well this was the week for the obligatory group project that is always a part of these online experiences. I've been in a few of these classes before, and it's always interesting to try to work with people that I have never met in person.

We got off to an interesting start- trying to schedule via email, and contacting each other via wiki and yack pakc. We had the usual hardware issues with failing microphones and questions as to the times we were to actually meet (was it 7 or 9 PM?)

We were hesitant, no one seemed to want to dominate the conversation (especially me..as I have a tendancy to do this) but we eventually agreed upon the logical definition of duties that the project laid out. We all took a question and agreed to find some information which would add to the project...the "above and beyond" factor.

Did the group have some confusion- yes. Did we operate optimally- probably not. Did we do some good work- I think so. I dont believe that I suffered or was affected by this in anyway that I was suprised by. I just wasnt suprised by the whole process at all. The only difference in my mind was that we used some different technologies- email, yack pack, wiki pages.

I think that the success or failure of any project comes down to the individuals that make up the team. If you are willing to put in the work to make your project a success, and if you have the ability to look at a group project as a reflection of yourself...than it's not a problem to tackle a group project. I think our team was perfectly postioned in this respect, and we did a pretty good job.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russell,

I agree that we had some tech issues towards the beginning. I also agree that there was some confusion. And I don't think we operated optimally. It is hard to work in a group with people you've never met and don't know their work ethic. I am very pleased overall with our presentation and really like all the pictures you added. Thanks, those were great and not ones that all of us have readily available.

Bonnie-Jean

Angel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angel said...

I agree Russell, I think we did a pretty good job as well. I also liked what you said about looking at the group project as a reflection of yourself, that is very true, because you would never want something to reflect bad on you so if you put that same focus into a group project it should turn out just fine and I believe it did.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooke said...

Russell--
I think that your personal experiences with the technology was really helpful and enhanced our presentation very much! Thanks for sharing it with us.